Friday, March 4

Pork Beans!

No, it's not an explicative... could be though... nah, it's what my taxi driver, Geri (pronounced Jerry), got for me after driving me all over town looking for a part that was not to be found. With the fresh bread dipped in, it, is, divine.

We had just picked up his 3 year old son, Little Geri, at daycare and Big Geri left us in the car to chat while he popped out for something. That's when I found out my Spanish is worse than I thought. Little Geri laughed at just about anything I said and often replied with a giggly, "No-oo-oo-oo" and then tried again to say what he wanted me to understand... didn't work. Fortunately, Big Geri returned quickly. He handed me a heavy plastic bag and said, "This is for you."

 "Huh, for me?", I said. Then Little Geri giggled from the back seat.

Previously, I had been mentioning all the injector part rejection was making me hungry and asked Big Jeri if he knew a good place where locals eat... being that I shy away from the prices and scene of the tourist traps. Big Geri took care of me. In the bag were two Pineapple Tamales, two mini loafs of warm, just-baked-bread, and a tub of hot Pork Beans. Thanks Again Geri!

Shortly after making my earlier post , I started thinking I should get a taxi and track down some parts. Just then, as if requested, Geri appeared, dropping off my next door neighbor here at the San Bartolo Trailer Park.

 We spent the next couple hours going from one auto parts store to the next to no avail. But, in between stops, Jerry shared with me factoids about Mazatlan and we discussed the economic and crime situations that are effecting tourism and his livelihood. Interesting to hear his perspective. He, like most of the Mexicans I have asked about this, seem to have a similar outlook, they're just crossing their fingers and hoping it will all get sorted out soon. It seems to be a situation that is not unfamiliar in Mexico. In fact, what is more surprising to locals is how cold it has been this year. Mazatlan dipped to near freezing one night. Good thing I am heading further South.

Night has now covered Mazatlan. I can hear a Willie Nelson sound-a-like playing one of the tourist bars on the strip. He is doing an admirable, 'On the Road Again'.  And it makes me smile. It's how I feel after making, what I hope is an admirable repair to Choco's injection system. Might be a little rigged, but I think it will do the job until I can sort out getting a proper part. Besides, driving with the possibility of spontaneous combustion helps me stay awake at the wheel.

Oop.... well isn't that interesting, this morning started out with noticeably explosive potential, and now, after devouring that tub of savory pork beans... whew!... roadtrippin' can be quite a gas!

:o)

3 comments:

  1. Pineapple tamales!!! my favorite!! I see that spanish is not a limitation for you to get the royal treatment.. it must be your charming disposition and looks..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Con estos cambios en las latitudes, los cambios en las actitudes
    Nada queda exactamente lo mismo
    Con todo mi carrera y toda mi astucia
    Si yo no puedo reír solo se vuelve loco
    Si no podemos reír acaba de volverse loco
    Si no estuviéramos todos locos que se vuelve loco
    El amor del papá

    ReplyDelete