Saturday, March 5

Note: This post is from my first day across the border, just haven't has web access till now

Tubac to Guaymas:  2 March 2011

Well, that was practically the red carpet treatment. Never has a border crossing been so easy... and there I was, all psyched out to be searched, questioned, detained... I was jipped! All I got was a nonchalant, almost a why-bother, wave-through from the customs people who were chit-chatting in the shade and an unceremonious stamp with a, “Welcome to Mexico Senor, have a nice stay.” from immigration.... in fact I had to interrupt their viewing of naked women on the internet to get that stamp. 

 For 9 of the 11 minutes I was at the border offices, I was the only one entering Mexico! I began to wonder if I should be knowing something everyone else knew (of course that is a rather common ponder of mine), but it turns out I just happened to pick a slow day on the worlds busiest border.


So, the entry through Nogales and the subsequent drive to Guaymas was a breeze, and literally down hill. I started in Tubac up at 3200 feet and sit now just a few feet above the lapping waves of the Sea of Cortez, on the premises of the aptly named hotel/campground, La Playa de Cortez. 




A past-its-prime resort who's heyday was sometime back when film was black and white... judging by all the photos on the wall of various Mexican personalities enjoying the amenities here. The big gringo claim to fame they display is the the time Ray Coniff performed here to a crowd of presumably Mexican VIP's. That must have been quite an event for it still holds a place of honor here on the wall underneath a record-breaking stuffed marlin with its fake eye missing.

Sadly, I will only be staying for a night as my goal is to traverse Mexico with lazy haste. But if were pacing a bit slower I could see staying here a night or two more. It is quite nice. Big pool, nice beach, lovely architecture. 




All for a fair price. And, I am told the seafood is excellent, so, if you ever happen to be in Guaymas... just ask where Ray Coniff played and I am sure any local will point you in the right direction.



Hasta :o)

2 comments:

  1. Where was this gem that we missed it? what a nice transition from our house to there... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias for the pictures of the hotel. I was hoping to see it. Glad that you are breezing right along. How is Choco??

    ReplyDelete